Long Friday Afternoon

My boss is in Tuscany on a food/wine vacation.  I am holding down the fort, so to speak, and this has been a very long Friday afternoon.  Fifteen minutes to go, so I thought I would write a quick post.

I have been rather scattered this week.  Having the Little Buddy for 4 days threw me off stride.  I bought the fashionista a container of edamame hummus two days ago and kept forgetting to remove it from the office fridge and take it home.  So this morning I told her to text me in the afternoon and remind me — which she did.  So it is now sitting by my bag ready to go.  I HAVE to get on the computer tonight and choose the photos I want to use for Sunday’s presentation, and I have to figure out what I want to say.  I hate talking in front of people — funny then, that it is actually something I do fairly well.

We have been just kind of foraging this week so I want to spend some time in the kitchen also.  I want to make regular hummus, zucchini bread, a green bean salad, a summer squash salad, and some cooked zucchini with thyme.  All are new recipes I have found recently except the bread.  I have a good zucchini bread recipe that I found several years ago  and to which I add crushed pineapple — yum!

And I need to get caught up on household tasks, yard work, and other projects.  I wanted to work outside the past few evenings, but it has been so darn HOT out that I have stayed inside with the A/C unless I have had to take the fashionista’s dogs out to potty.  Yes, I am a wimp when it comes to hot weather.  Still not sure how I survived the 130 to 145 degrees in Sudan.  I suppose because I had no choice, no escape.  At home I choose to be outside in the heat or inside with the artificially cooled air.   I wonder too if one’s blood is thinner in the hotter climates.  I saw children wearing sweatsuits and long sleeved articles of clothing and sweaters and the men would dress up in suits for church — I thought I would die in a short sleeved shirt and skirt or lightweight cargo pants.  And they would sit by the fire at night. I couldn’t even sleep inside the tukul at night — it felt like an oven.  We all pulled our beds outside and slept outside, though it was not much cooler until sometime in the middle of the night to early morning — even if there was a breeze.

Ah, finally time to pack up and call it a day.


About ksknitter

I wear many hats -- mother and grandmother, paralegal, knitter, bass player in a praise and worship band, gardener, cook, avid reader, good friend, good listener -- just to name a few. View all posts by ksknitter

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: